Monday, September 17, 2007

Words words words


My gosh this is overwhelming...in between all the meetings to pick classes and get introduced to the university as well as shopping for things I need to get by like sheets and a hooded coat, and finally getting to know people at night, there is no time to sleep let alone blog. My apologies folks. Honestly though, once I am settled I plan to be a consistent blogger because as I have found out so far, I do notice or learn something new everyday.

My flat-mates are all wonderful. I was lucky enough to be placed with all girl
s and they are all from the UK. One from Scotland, one from Manchester and the other from Southern England. Bex is the artist, sweet and kind. She made us spaghetti for dinner last night. Jamie is this tall Scottish thing, also kind...friendly to everyone, the type of person that gets along with just about anyone and will go with the flow. And lastly, Rachel, tiny with ginger hair and the best attitude to match it. She is quite the ball of fire and I am always laughing in her presence. All three have taken gap years so they are 19 and have traveled around already. Oh and I forgot about Maud-our house plant...a little green flowery cactus.

The only downside to this flat is the shower. No hot water, I mean not even warm. I come out shivering and can barely stand there long enough to wash my hair. I hope it won't last much longer...

Other than that, I think I may have got the best housing. The building is beautiful.


Also, the walk to campus is pretty rough...15 go 2o minutes.


However, the walk is so worth it. The Leeds Union is fabulous...really amazing.

Okay that's all I can do for now. :)
Love you! Miss you!!


Some fun observations:

  • a hamper here is not used for dirty clothes but instead is what we know as a picnic basket
  • quite necker'd is extremely tired
  • when wanting to emphasize something one says "proper" or "dead" before, such as "when my brother was little he was proper naughty."
  • Mingen is a word which I am still trying to master, but essentially it's something bad
  • a Band-Aid is known as plaster for the Brits
  • tea is the solution to any problem, feeling bad? put the kettle on

3 comments:

love unlimited said...

necker'd? knackered!

your observations are awesome. although clearly i'm not being brit enough around you because i could've told you all of that. looking forward to reading more... where in southern england is she from?

Kelly D'Innocenti said...

Oh God that's great! You are dead cute. Way to go catching up on the Blog! I love reading about what you're doing because writing it out always makes it sound so much funnier! I miss you and can't wait to see you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brit! It's Jaime! I know you are heaps busy but keep up the posts...glad you have settled in well. The knackered made me laugh so much because I say that all the time when I am back in OZ (AUS).

In fact, my version - Honey, I am BLOODY KNACKERED!!!!

xx