Here at Uni, the students pick a course (like a major for us) and study only that course for three years. They have a set group of core classes they take every level. It's very strange for me though because I'm sampling classes from all three levels. I'm taking my theatre courses in level one with first years and my communication courses in both levels two and three.
I had a lecture Monday for my Communication Arts class and I think that class will be pretty good since many of the themes I've learned about at UCSD. Tuesday I had my Stage Management class which I almost fell asleep in it was so boring. I think that one will be tough to sit through but the tutor promised something more active next week, thank goodness. However, today's seminar has got me a bit worried.
The class is Screen Fact and it is taught by David Lancaster. He is a definitely a character and very smart man. He came out to The Library (if you were paying attention you will recall that this is a pub) after class today with all the students. During class though, I felt so lost. The seminar is only about 35 people and they all know each other from their first year. Prof Lancaster pulled one of those cliche movie scenes and introduced me to the class. In a very slow and dramatic voice he said "This is Brittany and she is from America. Not only America, but California, not only California, but Southern California, not only Southern California but San Diego," to which I smiled, looked around and gave an awkward wave.
Then he started talking about the aims of the class. It's basically about factual British TV, like documentaries and news and such. I know nothing about British TV and felt so oblivious as the group discussed current debates surrounding it.
I have a lot of learning and TV watching to do in order to catch up to all my colleagues, but it looks like I'll have plenty of time.
I also joined the Theatre society and the LS:TV society so that should keep me busy. (you know they charge money to join clubs here?)
And, seeing as how my pictures are not postable right now, I'm stealing someone else's from last night's Devonshire Pub crawl. This is Rachel,
Paul, Bex and I walking back to Dev:
2 comments:
it's the hobo bag!
classes mon-wed? i'm jeaaaalous. although i only have one class on tue/thur/fri so i guess it feels like easy street for me, too.
i'm glad you're posting more. :]
I know...doesn't the whole school thing just suck? As if we don't have better things to do in Europe.
Post a Comment