Last night marked the end of Kristen's short but sweet visit. She came on Tuesday night and left this evening. Tuesday I went to pick her up in the city, but her bus was 2 hours late! I've come to find out that buses, while affordable are definitely not as reliable as the trains in England. Unfortunately while she was here I had class and felt quite sickly but nevertheless we made the most of the time. We walked around Leeds Wednesday, she tasted some true British style tea and a full English breakfast, almost went and experienced the Leeds nightlife (at the last minute deciding we would be better off staying in warmly cuddled watching Scrubs), and went to York. We took the bus to York, only about 45 minutes away and had a lovely day in the historic city.
The pictures below include some random city shots, the art gallery we went to and the York Minster-the largest medieval gothic cathedral in Northern Europe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
it was a hard decision...but I think the tree one is my favorite.
THE TREE IS THE BEST ONE! I'm a big fan of trees though....
Theres much I can say about the architecture of the cathedral you were in.... The ceilings with the cross sections of wood are called a "groin vault"... isn't that a great name. It was very popular in the Gothic period which is when this cathedral was made. The emphasis in this period was on verticality, and this sense that if one builds higher, those who enter will become closer to God just by the architecture. There were also lancets (long skinny windows on the sides of the building) and a rose window ( the big circular window) which characterize this period....
I'm so glad you get to travel when there! Also, when are you off of school for winter? Kelly and I are trying to plan things, and i'd love to know that!
much love m'dear
wow i'm impressed. you actually remember what you learn in your classes. bravo. i'm off school december 7th to january 7th. exam period is january 7th to the 18th.
i like the sound of planning things...miss you!
Post a Comment